Securing employment in Ontario is an integral part of the Canadian settlement process and an important factor in planning your future career. Although employment, business, and the Canadian culture of work may be different or similar to your home country, it is crucial that you educate yourself on Canadian requirements for employment as an Ontario newcomer. Before you can secure a job, many employers will require that you have some Canadian working experience. It is often difficult for an employer to evaluate international working experience and organizations' rules, policies, and practices could differ greatly from your home country. Gaining some practical Canadian experience as a volunteer or an intern can be an invaluable way to introduce you to the Canadian corporate culture and give your résumé a competitive advantage. Review the Top 10 Ways to Gain Canadian Experience so that you can familiarize yourself with working in Canada through hands-on experience.

As a student, it is important to take into consideration the connections between your field of study and your future career and an essential factor is the Canadian labour market. Research the demand for careers within your academic program of study so that you will know if there is an availability of jobs within your industry when you graduate. Job Futures is a comprehensive resource that will make you aware of technological, demographic, and political changes that affect the Canadian labour market, as well as the average Canadian salaries for specific occupations you are considering. To find out more about researching companies as well as the labour market, explore this Labour Market Information link.

You'll need a SIN card to work in Canada.
The most important thing you need to do as a permanent resident is apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN). A SIN is a nine digit number which provides proof that you are legally required to work in Canada or have access to government programs and benefits. To get a SIN application form, go to the nearest Human Resources Centre of Canada (HRCC) and fill it out in person or download the form online. If you are not a permanent resident, you can apply for a student work permit. Citizenship and Immigration Canada requires different applications for working on campus, off campus, internship and co-op programs, and working after graduation.

If you are being considered for a job, your prospective employer will require you to provide references. You can use previous employers from your home country and if you have completed an internship or undergone a volunteer placement in Canada, your supervisors should be approached to provide you with a reference. If you do not have any previous employment experience in Canada, some employers will accept character references as long as they are not your family members. It is important that you have a polished cover letter and résumé, as all Canadian employers will require these. Review our comprehensive guides to writing a résumé and preparing for an interview so that you know what to expect.